In our big engine shed we have more treasure!!
Here we have one of two engines from the Scow “Echo” which carried freight between Blenheim & Wellington. It had to navigate it’s way over the Wairau Bar & up the Opawa river to berth at the town’s wharf. Once the Echo was over the bar & heading for Wellington it would put up it’s sail & continue under sail to Wellington. The Echo was also used in the movie “The Whackiest Ship In The Navy” The engines are 80hp “Vivians”.
Two Identical “Petters” were driving standby generators from RNZAF Base Woodbourne until they were donated to MVFMS.
A 1929 “Crossley” Diesel Model FOE 4 100hp at 320rpm.This engine was installed in 1930 to power a sawmill at McRaes Flat,Central Otago to power a sawmill which was mainly making “Staves” for NZ Refrigerating Co. In 1966 it was transferred to Picton Freezing Works to drive an alternator for standby power.It was donated to MVFMS in 1985
The “Ruston” photographed below is also from the picton freezing works & was used as a standby engine to provide power for all the machines in case of a power cut.
click on the images to enlarge: